More than three million American adults currently have dental implants improving their smiles and dental functions. That number grows by 500,000 every year. If you would like to be a part of that growing number -- if you suffer from missing teeth or want cosmetic improvements to your teeth -- call or make an appointment online today with Dr. Kamran Rafie and Dr. Shadi Khoshbin at the Granada Hills Dental Group in Granada Hills, California.
Dental Implants Q & A
Granada Hills Dental Group
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are an excellent, popular, and effective long-term option for restoring your smile by replacing missing teeth.
Dental implants are metal posts or frames that the doctors at Granada Hills Dental Group surgically position into your jawbone beneath your gums.
Once installed, dental implants allow either Dr. Rafie or Dr. Khoshbin to mount replacement teeth onto them and blend them in with your other teeth.
The two most common types of dental implants are:
The implant is surgically installed directly into your jawbone, and artificial teeth are mounted directly to the implant.
A metal frame is fitted onto your jawbone just below the gum tissue. Posts are attached to the frame and protrude through your gums; artificial teeth are mounted to the posts.
What is the dental implant procedure?
Getting a dental implant has three phases.
Dr. Rafie or Dr. Khoshbin surgically places the dental implant into your jawbone.
Healing takes a few weeks. During this period, the bone and implant combine.
You eat soft, cold foods, and warm soup. A temporary crown, bridge, or denture helps you eat and speak normally until your permanent replacement is ready.
Once healing is complete, either Dr. Rafie or Dr. Khoshbin inserts your artificial teeth.
Chronic illnesses, including diabetes and leukemia, as well as the use of tobacco, interfere with and slow the healing process.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants have numerous benefits including:
- Strong and stable: Looks, feels, fits, and functions like natural teeth
- Built to last: Lasts a lifetime with proper placement and care
- Lead your life: No embarrassment or worry because your smile limits your abilities
- Retain your natural face shape and smile: A face without teeth sags and looks sunken and sad
- Protect healthy bone: Empty spaces in your mouth from lost teeth causes deterioration of your jawbone
- Keep your teeth in your mouth: No worrying about dentures slipping or falling out, or needing adjustment
- Eat your favorite foods: Bite naturally and eat anything you want
- No cavities: Cavities can’t occur in a dental implant (regular dental visits are still necessary)
If you’re interested in dental implants, call or make an appointment online today with Drs.Kamran Rafie and Shadi Khoshbin at the Granada Hills Dental Group in Granada Hills, California.